Saturday, May 12, 2012

Oreo Fudge

For Bible Study this week I was in charge of bringing dessert. 
That's usually my favorite thing to be in charge of bringing, but since my absence in the kitchen this year I was kind of at a loss of what to bring. 
Until..... I had an idea for this:
It's basically the easiest quickest dessert recipe ever. 
Plus you probably have everything in your pantry for it already. 
(minus the Oreos because who really can keep an entire package of Oreos in the pantry for long?)
So yea, run to the store, grab a pack of Oreos, but it is vitally important to get the Double Stuffed. 
You should always get the double stuffed. They might as well pull the regular ones off of shelves. 

Anyway I took this a step further and decided to blog this recipe. 
It's my own, and although I have it stored up in my not so trusty memory I don't have it written down or in computer world until.....nowww.
I always come back to my blog for my favorite bread recipe, peanut butter cookie recipe, and pumpkin muffin recipe so now I have a resource for this fudge too! 
So I channeled a food blogger as I grabbed my camera and did what food bloggers do.
At least what I think they do. 
When I find blogged recipes I always see a picture of the ingredients used. 
I actually always thought that was silly because you list the ingredients after anyway, but hey what do I know? 

On a side note, I actually think almond extract could be optional to this recipe. I think it gives the fudge a little bit of a cake taste, but with all of the cookies in it I don't think its noticeable. Sometimes I used it, sometimes I don't.

Prep steps:
 -If you want thick fudge use an 8x8 pan like I did for this recipe, but if you're feeding more or want a thinner fudge use the regular 11X7 I think is the measurements pan. Line it with foil, and trust me you'll be thanking yourself later. 

-Crush your double stuffed oreos. I use a zip lock bag because it means I don't have to clean the food processor, but if you don't get pleasure out of beating the heck out of cookies in a bag then by all means make more dishes and use the processor. 
I crush them by banging the bag on my counter until I see cookies crumbled to peaces and still some nice sized chunks in there too. 
Also you should know if there's about 5 cookies missing from the package by chance you won't miss them in the fudge. I should know because..... I ate four and gave one to the kids to split before they all made it to the bag for crushing. 
Gah! 

You should know I'm not a regular fudge maker, and I don't know if this is fudge cheating or not, but it's so simple it feels like cheating.
I use a microwave. 
gasp.
What?
You have one, and it's there to warm or melt food so there you go, get to it.

-Poor whole large bag of white chocolate chips and the whole can of sweetened condensed milk into a microwave safe bowl and melt for 2-3 minutes. Stir once in between to even out hotspots. 
We all know how yucky over-warmed chocolate gets so keep an eye on it after 2 minutes. 
I let mine go for 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
 -When it's finished melting immediately add extracts. I eyeball about 3 teaspoons of vanilla and sometimes a splash of almond. 
Almond extract is so strong so maybe 1/8 tsp.
 
-Add your bag of crushed Oreos and fold it all in there. 
It doesn't have to be over stirred, I just like enough to get it blended and leave some white chocolate marbled in there a little bit. 

-Now pour into the foil lined pan and let it set in the refrigerator for at least an hour. 
You can probably let it set longer at room temp, but I like to leave mine in the refrigerator for a while so it gets nice and cold and hard for me to cut pretty little squares. 

-Now that your fudge is set take out out of the refrigerator and lift the foil up removing your delicious dessert from a clean dish that can be reinserted into the cabinets where you don't even have to wash! 
Genius I know. 
  -I carefully peel the foil from the ends and cut off the frayed edges. Save them on a paper plate, put them in your fridge, and give them to your kids. The kids don't care how ugly the fudge is. 
-Then use a large sharp knife to cut small square pieces that your friends will think look all fancy and professional.
Voila!
Maybe I used too many words because that was kind of long for how simple and fast it is to make this.
BUT
I did put a flower on the plate before I took a picture.
Fancy food blogger is what you can call me now! 
Hey don't they get paid to do this?

Anyway, I hope your Mother's Day weekend if filled with joy. 
  I hope your little and big people make you feel extra super loved this Mother's Day.
Don't forget to pray for those who struggle with this weekend.
May Jesus bring great comfort and peace to those in broken relationships, mourning loss, or struggling with infertility and the ache of reaching motherhood. Amen.



14 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Did you try the birthday cake oreos that were out for their birthday? They were the bomb. Have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! I wish I would have though I heard they were yumm!! Thanks Virginia!

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome recipe, and barely any mess. How easily did the foil come off of the fudge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super easy and hardly any mess! My kinda cookin'!
      Foil comes off fairly easy! I let the fudge sit outside of the fridge for a couple of minutes before removing the foil.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That looks awesome!! I would say I'd save the recipe and try to do it on my own, but 2 Christmases ago, I threw in the towel with making fudge. I threw away 2 whole batches because it wouldn't set right! I just will leave it to the others to make it, and I'll just eat it when I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I see my MIL and some people at the stove stirring and laboring over fudge so I usually stay away. Microwave fudge works for me though, I haven't had any setting problems.
      Good theory! ;)

      Delete
  4. ohhhh. dang.
    i love oreos.
    and sweetened condensed milk.
    and vanilla extract.
    and white chocolate.
    golly.
    shall have to make this someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only food was appealing to me right now.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the professional flowers on the plate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's something us food bloggers do from time to time. ;)

      Delete