Sunday, May 30, 2010

Yummy Plum Crumble

I make a lot of fruit pies around here: apple, blueberry, strawberry, plum, pear, peach.....
It's kind of silly because I don't even eat fruit pies. 
I eat all of the fruit, but I'm funny about textures and I only like then fresh and crisp not warm and tender.
I guess that might not be the best intro to share a yummy recipe with, but I'ma keep it real, ya know?

Hah, When pies get a little old I usually make a crisp or a crumble, which is really simple and usually a winner with Philip and anyone else I give them too.

We came back from Crowley a few days ago with a bunch of delicious fresh plums. What we didn't eat I decided to make a crumble with, and I wanted to share the recipe here. 

This is a basic recipe I use for all of my crisps/crumbles so you can use apple or peaches or another fruit in place of the plums if you want. Heck, you can even combine fruits and make a mixed fruit crumble. I'll have to try that! 

For the filling you'll need:
-Washed, sliced, and pitted plums (about 2-4 cups depending on your baking dish or filling to topping ratio desire. I used about 2 cups of plums) 
-Sprinkle of cinnamon (maybe about 1tsp)
-1tsp vanilla
-1-2 tbs flour
-2tbs sugar

Then for the Topping:
-1/4 cup of melted butter (I used margarine)
-pinch of salt
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1/2 cup of flour
-1/2 cup of oats

Set the oven at 350. 
In a medium-large bowl toss plums, flour, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together.
Pour into a pie plate or a small baking dish. 

In the same bowl (because there's no need for dirtying unnecessary dishes, is there?)  mix all of the topping ingredients. 

Mix thoroughly (I do it with my hands) until slightly crumbly. Spread mixture evenly over the filling (again with your hands). 
Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 

Smells so amazing, and I hear it's not bad on the taste buds either, especially with some vanilla ice cream. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny about not eating the pies you make. I don't think I'd bother! Hahaha. Of course that would make it easier on the ole waist line!
    So just got caught up on your last couple post. You've been busy.
    I need to make Max blankets, but I keep putting it off. Now it's too warm. I should totally make him a cars blanket though. He loves Lightning McQueen. Cute stuff!!

    ReplyDelete