Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving

I'm supposed to be fishing right now. 
That's where my husband is, and he's catching some too! 

We were supposed to go fishing together 2 months ago when he was home, but some jerk stole the cover off of his boat motor in the middle of the night, and it took us a little while to save up for another one.
Lucky for him, instead of buying a brand new one for $581, I scored a hardly used cover off of Ebay for $250. 
It was a hard thing to buy something back that someone else took away. It's like buying it twice. 
It was especially hard since I emptied out our savings account for it, but it felt like the right thing to do. 

Philip loves to fish, and he's been missing us so badly while he's away for so long, I felt like he deserved to be able to come home and do the one thing he loves most--fish.

So that's where he is, and I wish I were there. Fishing is fun, especially when I catch bigger fish than Philip! ;) [btw I am very "unsportsman-like" in the boat, as my husband says.]

I'd be with him if the weather weren't so hot and muggy. I still have my nausea hanging over my head, and if I'm out in the heat its just inevitable that I'll lose it. So we'll wait for a cooler morning or afternoon, and say lots of prayers that I can make it more than an hour or two to satisfy my husband.

His alarm went off at 4am this morning, and after a couple of snoozes he was out and about and on his way. Before leaving though, I got a kiss on the forehead and he whispered, "I got you donuts on the counter, love you."
I was already nauseas and groggy but immediately excited. I'd been going on about how I was craving donuts, and I was amazed that he went out of his way to get me some! 

Got about a half hour more of sleep before Squiggy "heard a big truch" [seriously garbage men, can't you not throw my garbage can with all of your might when you're done with it? It is after all not even 5am and some of us are still catching our last moments of the night's sleep!!]
We went on in the kitchen and saw a crumpled, grease stained bag on the counter:
I couldn't help but smile and stop to thank God for my husband's kind generosity and cave into my unhealthy craving. 
Inside the bag was a couple of stale, sticky donuts, and although they tasted as old as they looked, they were wonderful.
It was wonderful to have a little surprise, even if it was just old fried bread coated in gooey sugar. 
It was wonderful to feel like he thought about me like I think about him all of the time.

The morning went on, and I decided to utilize it by putting together our Christmas cards. 
My plan was to make some sweet homemade cards inserted with a family picture we took last month, but I have so much to do right now, I couldn't see squeezing in just one more thing for the 34th time. 
I had an Etsy print shop whip up some cards for me, and this morning I carefully stuffed the envelopes and organized my mailing list for this year. 
Leaving the pile of stuffed envelopes on the table in my daughter's reach wasn't my best call in judgment. 
She took a green crayon to about 6 of them.
Just as a rounded the corner and started to fuss her for coloring in something other than her designated coloring book, I stopped.
It was my fault for leaving the pile on the table, it was my fault for not picking up her crayons yesterday after play time, and it was my fault for leaving the room. She saw a blank canvas, and well at least it wasn't my wall this time. 
So I shook off being uptight, and gave her a red crayon to let her continue her art on about 5 more envelopes until she lost interest. 
So 11 of my Christmas card recipients are going to have wonderfully decorated envelopes. 
It's wonderful to have a little human around to remind me that not everything has to be so perfect and planned.
It's wonderful to be reminded that even simple mishaps can be made better by a change of my mind frame.

I just finished whipping up Adeline's Thanksgiving Day dress. I say whipped up because that's literally what I did. I haven't had the time or patience to sit down and make something above and beyond lately, so she got a simple little shiny orange dress:
We'll be spending the morning at my inlaws for lunch, and then coming home for the big Saints game and dinner at my house with some of my side of the family.
We were tempted to skip all of the family all together this year, but decided to stick with our Holiday routine yet again. I'm hoping for a smooth, relaxing day tomorrow. 
No matter who else in the mix, Philip, Adeline, and I will be together, and to me that's really all that matters. 
[Now someone remind me that tomorrow as I'm about to lose my cool and self control.]

We have so much to be thankful for, and I just pray that I can remember to focus on that! 
I hope ya'll all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Brandon & I haven't gone fishing in so long. He loves it too, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait as well. A cool morning would be nice, but goodness...how I love to lay there as long as I can! =P

    Aw @ Addie's precious attempt to personalize the Christmas cards. That just makes them all that more special. :)

    I hope you guys have a blessed, beautiful Thanksgiving holiday! I also hope that you're feeling well & able to EAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's hot there... it's like 40 here in PA!

    Sorry you didn't make it on the fishing trip... but that was sweet of your hubby to leave you donuts! Isn't it the best when even the smallest thing can be the sweetest? :)

    Love the dress you made!!

    I think having Addie's "signature" on some of the envelopes is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, the note on the bag is so sweet.
    How thoughtful!

    Oh, fishing sounds fun! Only if it's cool out though. It's 30 here, so if you want I can try to send you some. Brrrrr. LOL

    Have a wonderful thanksgiving dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've got one awesome husband! i'd be happy to receive a personalised envelope from your sweet daughter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh the donuts is the sweetest thing. Awwwww. Heart melt.

    I think the drawing is really cute. Those are some lucky people who will get those! :D

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't know each other but I found your blog through someone else's and have been keeping up ever since. I love reading what you write and am inspired everytime I visit Lovelove.
    Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete